2023 Series Talk schedule coming soon.
2022 Series Talks
Each month, Life Science Across the Globe highlights scientific and societal topics of global importance, allowing you to meet some of the world’s most creative scientists and scholars, and to appreciate that science is a shared global effort.
These virtual meetings will feature seminars and panel discussions about research and global scientific culture from speakers around the world. They will be open to everyone in the scientific community and will stimulate lively discussion.
Each event will also be recorded and available on the Janelia YouTube Channel.
(Click on the dates for more information.)
Feb. 2: COVID-19: Looking Ahead. A fireside chat with Dr. Anthony Fauci
Hosted by: HHMI/Janelia Research Campus, US
- Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIH) and Chief Medical Advisor to the US President
Moderated by: Ron Vale, HHMI Vice President and Executive Director Janelia Research Campus
- Zemin Zhang, Peking University, China
- Aviv Regev, Genentech, US
- Miriam Merad, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, US
Moderated by: Padmanee Sharma, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, US
April 6: "New Chemistry for Biological Systems"
Hosted by: National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS)
- Zorana Zeravcic, ESPCI Paris, France
- Bonnie Bassler, Princeton University, US
- Gurmeet Singh, Trans Disciplinary University, India
Moderated by: Mukund Thattai, NCBS, India
May 4: “Learning from the planet to heal the planet: Microbial Ecosystems”
Hosted by: European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
Download resources discussed in the talks
- Dianne Newman, Caltech, US
- Rob Finn, EMBL-EBI, UK
- Tobias Erb, MPI for Terrestrial Microbiology, Germany
Moderated by: Ron Milo, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
June 1: "Air quality and infectious disease"
Hosted by: Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine (IDM), University of Cape Town
- Lydia Bourouiba, MIT, US
- Robin Wood, Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, South Africa
- Lidia Morawska, University of Queensland, Australia
Moderated by: Donald Milton, University of Maryland, US
- Ana Franchi, CONICET, Argentina
- Eileen Furlong, EMBL, Germany
- Alexander Gates, Northeastern University, US
Moderated by: Tracy Johnson, Dean, Life Sciences, UCLA College, US
Sept. 7: "Machine learning approaches in the Life Sciences"
Hosted by: MRC-Laboratory of Molecular Biology
- John Jumper, DeepMind, UK
- Gisbert Schneider, Singapore-ETH Centre, Singapore
- Mihaela van der Schaar, University of Cambridge, UK
Moderated by: Sjors Scheres, MRC-LMB, UK
- Michal Schwartz, Professor, Weizmann Institute, Israel
- Adam Kepecs, Professor, Washington University School of Medicine, US
- Carlos Ribeiro, Principal Investigator, Champalimaud Neuroscience Programme, Portugal
Moderated by: Asya Rolls, Associate Professor, Technion, Israel
Nov 2: "RNA Therapeutics"
Hosted by: John Curtin School of Medical Research, Australian National University
- Melissa Moore, Moderna Therapeutics, US
- Ross Hannan, John Curtin School of Medical Research, ANU, Australia
- Catherine Mills, Director, Monash Bioethics Centre, Australia
Moderated by: Thomas Preiss, John Curtin School of Medical Research, ANU, Australia
2021 Talks: Watch here
2020 Talks: Watch on YouTube